Monday, September 19, 2005

home again

On Saturday morning, I was informed that my grandfather passed away. Lalo, another trainee, listened to me, hugged at the appropriate moments, and took a walk with me when we should have been in a training session. I waited four hours to call my parents so that they would be awake. Because he is not an immediate family member and I'm still a Peace Corps trainee, I do not have emergency leave to go home but I have been given the vacation time. I decided to take the vacation because I cannot imagine not being at home with my family. The most difficult thing is trying to find a ticket. My parents could not buy one for me and I need a credit card in my hand in order to buy one for myself. Lisa Ellis, the country director, is going to buy my ticket for me and my parents are going to reimburse her. I will be flying out of Johannesburg on Tuesday night (about the same time that the funeral will be occuring at home) and start flying back on the 27th.
Although all of my time has been spent waiting and trying to organize a ticket, my fellow trainees and the current volunteers have been extremely supportive and I love everyone here. Pretoria is unreal compared to the villages that I have been spending time in. I'm nervous about missing training and adjusting back to the life here when I get home. Hopefully, I will up-date some more while I am at home.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry... Let me know if there is anything I can do. --Drew

2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your grandfather...and I'm really glad that you're going to get to go home for a little while.
Lots of love, Sandy

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Be well. love always ~sarah

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa, we send our love at this sad, sad time. It's so important to be with your family to grieve and, at the same time, honor your grandfather's life. Our deepest condolences to you and your entire family ~ Penni & Brooks

4:11 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you for all of your support. I arrived home Wednesday, September 21 and I'm flying out tomorrow (Tuesday).
I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to spend more time with all of my family members, especially my grandma.
If you're interested, here are some links about my grandpa. . .
http://www.lakegenevanews.net/1pubicindex.lasso?-token.editorialreferral=138473.112112
http://www.gazetteextra.com/0919Leedle_Ken.asp

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home