Wednesday, August 17, 2005

staging II

I'm sitting in the hotel the morning before I leave on the plane for Joburg. There are 88 of us intwo programs (the education that I am in and a NGO health prgram). Our hotel has the nicest beds that I think I've ever slept on. It's close to South St. and the clubs that I went to with my friends last year. (Joy, I can see your brother's apartment from my window). The hotel also hosted the first annual masct induction into the hall of fame. Most of them hung out in the bar when not in character and watched themselves on tv. One of them gave my advice on how to make my cartwheels better/funnier.
The staging program seemed to have two parts that were interspersed, one where we filled in a book and listened to a leader talk about the words in the booklet, and anoter part where we played games to learn a lesson. I really enjoyed drawing my aspiations and anxities on a poster sheet and discussing all of them with my group. It was comforting that everyon shares common anxities and that the aspirations are very diverse. A lot of the drawings were humorous and it made a serious topic lighter. My other favorite activity involved breaking the group in half and telling onegroup that they are anthropologists that need to help 'the people' with a problem. The other group was told hat they have three rules that they must follow. 1. They can only answer ys or no questions, 2. Women can only talk to women, men to men, 3. questions that are asked when smiling recieve a yes answer and frowning a no. The anthropollogits would say "they" and "they don't talk" and with what they were told determined that some of us liked soccer anoters were pologymists.
I'm sorry fo rthe typing errors, but I need to check out and get shots. I will update around October15th. Check the comments to see that I've arrived safely.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Eldredge-Martin said...

We all already miss you!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Andrew Eldredge-Martin said...

A suggestion: Enable the 'Atom Feed' in your blog settings. It will let people subscribe to your blog with news agregator programs like NetNewsWire and NewsFire (similar aggregation is built into newer browsers like Safari and Firefox).

When people subscribe, they automatically know when you update the blog.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received a call from Meliss on Friday, August 19th about 3pm, central time. She indicated it's 10pm her time. She's fine and getting lots of shots. Love and kisses, Meliss.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home