Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Ultimate Power

I, who flinch when a labrador retreiver runs to me for an ear scratch, have discovered the ultimate power. I can make any dog in my village stop in its tracks. How? Simple. Yell, "Fucek!" and the dog stops (sometimes it even puts its tail between its legs and sulks). Fucek is Afrikaans for piss off, or well, you know.

Children have this power too. Imagine: kids playing in the street. I run by and they yell, "Lethabo! Lethabo!" A dog starts barking and chasing me and they yell, "Fucek! Fucek!" and surround the dog. The bewildered dog tries to shrink back into the ground.

Ah, the power of swearing in a foreign language.

3 Comments:

Blogger Flea said...

The afr people pronounce and spell it as 'Voertsek', I think it's a word from the blacks, it's not a Afr swear word, thought you'd like to know.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks! I wasn't quite sure and I was hoping someone would correct me.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Flea said...

You're welcome!

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home