Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Pula etla

Hello my dear friends and family! (Rain is coming in Sepedi)
I’m sorry that it has been so long since I’ve been able to update this. Since coming back to South Africa, I have been on the internet a few times but usually only long enough to see if I have new messages.
What’s happened in three weeks? Well, I’m officially a Peace Corps volunteer now. The end of training was bittersweet. I miss seeing 84 other Americans everyday and my host sisters in Moletji are amazing. The actual parts that were ‘training’ weren’t very helpful. The last Saturday of training there was a good-bye ceremony for us in Moletji. A pair of goats was slaughtered, community members came, two groups of little girls danced and sang traditional songs, and there were lots of speeches. During the training manager’s (Kedibone) speech, she said, “I knew that when I came to Moletji, I was bringing with me 88 children.” It suddenly became clear why she treated us with such disrespect; to her she was taking care of 88 very disobedient 10 year-olds although several of the volunteers have 10 year-old grandchildren. Training in South Africa means seven weeks of being treated as a child but immediately after training we need to be more grown-up then we ever have had to be in our lives.
On October 13, we officially swore in as Peace Corps volunteers. After the ceremony, our supervisors took us to our sites. I’m living with an induna (a headman, which is a traditional leader directly underneath the chief/king) and his wife. They’re grandparents whose children either have spouses and children or are working in Johannesburg. Mma, mother in Sepedi, speaks as much English as I speak Sepedi but we’ve got a system and she normally understands what I’m doing. I make her laugh so at least someone other than me thinks I’m funny. Baba, father, speaks more English and he will sometimes talk to me in broad strokes about how South Africa is right now. I think they’re very proud and happy to have me living with them.
I’m working with three schools, Tshukudu (rhinoceros), Ramojapudi (eater of goats), and Mmera (a surname). All three schools are grades R (kindergarten) to 7. Tshukudu has 1013 learners and 26 teachers, but only 18 classrooms. The learner to teacher ratio isn’t that bad, but 18 teachers are teaching at any given time. Ramojapudi had 1000 learners, but the buildings for Mmera were completed in August and 330 of the learners went there. Mmera hopes to have its own budget, permanent teachers, desks, books, and water next year. I’ve spent the first couple of weeks here doing very little, mostly sitting at school and reading. I plan on holding a meeting at each of the schools to introduce myself, explain the goals of Peace Corps South Africa, education, and have the teachers fill out a questionnaire about themselves and what they’d like help with. I’m also currently making a staff wall for each of the schools. I expect that each school will need something very different. I plan on doing ‘real’ things next year. The biggest task is to help the teachers with skills to teach the learners critical thinking but very few, if any, of the teachers have critical thinking skills. Any suggestions?
Sadly, from 88 we are now 84. Katherine went home for health reasons, Linda because she likes organization and wanted to teach directly, Gordon because his son is very ill, and Brittany because she wanted to be in/close to a city and didn’t feel like this was the job for her. From looking at previous South African groups, about 50 percent of South Africa volunteers complete there service (there are much higher retention rates in other countries, even countries in Southern Africa).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,
So glad to have some posts from you. I've been wondering how you are getting along. It sounds like being settled in one place will allow you to begin finding your place in the schools, a home and the society itself. The training was a winding, rocky road at best.

We've had our first snow in NE PA - nothing that's accumulated but white stuff dropping like flakes of lead amongst the raindrops. The trees still have some colorful leaves (we're in the yellow caramel/butterscotch phase)but that won't last for long.

Thanks for the list of supplies and treats that you can use - I'm sure many of us will refer back to that list in the next few years.

Sending my best - and a big hug,
Penni

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
So good to hear you're doing well! I've been wondering when we would hear from you again.
I think talking to the teachers themselves will help you find out what it is they really need. You'll be great-I'm certain of that. You have just the kind of dedication and perseverance in everything that you do which will ensure you make a success of your time there.
Thanks for the list of stuff--we'll make use of it--I promise!
Things here are pretty much the same. I'm swamped with work--P-chem especially. I've never had a class that's made me feel more incompetent. Also Mcat class is another added stress factor. But apart from that everything's ok. I was home over fall break and got to see my little brother and sister--which made me very happy.
Well--that's all my news from Bryn Mawr! Florina says hello! We miss you lots!
much love, Sandy

4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home