Tuesday, March 27, 2007

dating

Host family members, teachers, South Africans in general are fascinated about who the white American is dating (if anyone) . Yesterday I went visiting with my Mma. We stopped at one of my teacher's houses and we interupted her, her husband and their preacher/grandmother's meal. The grandmother was fascinated with me and quickly declared that I was nice while she queried what kind of farm animals we have in the US. Mma started talking about how great am I, listing off how I'm always laughing and smiling, I help with dishes and with the goats, causing the teacher to laugh. The grandmother then asked if I have a boyfriend and informed me that it's good that I don't, all boyfriends have AIDS. I guess husbands don't?
Then, the husband, who's convinced that I will marry in South Africa and stay forever AND go home and teach all of America Sepedi, informed me that there are too many single, white men in town. ie, I should marry one of them.
We return to normal topics of conversation and another visitor arrives to talk to the husband. Once the visitor is done talking to the husband, he starts talking to me. His first question? 'Will you marry me?' I informed him that that is not the question to ask an American girl first off, and it's best to talk to me before (if ever) asking that. He agrees, we talk for five minutes. He asks, 'Now will you marry me? We've talked.'
Walking home, my fiesty Mma told me that I can't date anyone in the village. They're not good enough.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course they aren't good enough!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Flea said...

What a lovely compliment she gave you!

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home