Thursday, March 15, 2007

de-lumped

Last week the Peace Corps doctor called and informed me that the main office in Washington DC approved the removal of the lump. I came down to Pretoria on Wednesday and met with a surgeon on Thursday. The surgeon did some training in Madison and was happy to hear that I'm from Wisconsin. The surgery itself was on Monday. The Peace Corps picked me up from the backpackers at 5:30 and dropped me at the Little Company of Mary (a private hospital here in Pretoria) and I filled out forms at procrastinated until the surgery at 3:30. An hour later, I woke up and in another half hour I could walk around. Just as I was falling asleep, a nurse came in to check on me and noticed a bunch of blood on my shirt; the bandage came off a little and the anastetic that was coming out leaked onto my shirt. Another bandage was added on top, and I fell into a nice, deep sleep.
The next morning the surgeon changed the bandage and discharged me and I've been staying at a guesthouse since. I have a private room, a comfy bed and if I want I can wander to the pool and smell the roses. I have been wandering around Pretoria to get food and use the internet, but I've been getting tired faster than normal and usual head back for a mid-afternoon nap.
I'm hardly in any pain and haven't been taking my pain medication. The lump was benign and there shouldn't be any scarring.
I should head back to my site on Monday or Tuesday and fall break starts Friday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Horray for not being caught up in red tape! I hope you're doing well in the recovery process. Keep updating, it's an encouragement to all of us back in the States.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Tim! I'll try to up-date as much as possible. I'm doing very well. Excited for more adventures.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home