Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Home life. . .

My host father has been in Hammanscraal for the past two weeks. He's been in a hospital for either high blood pressure, dibetes, or his kidney problems. He doesn't know when he'll be able to come home. I hope he gets better! With him away, my host mom visits neighbors more and I'm free to cook my own food and lounge about without feeling guilty for not sharing or be lazy. I even had the house to myself for a night when my Mma went to a funeral.

My host brother, Hans, who works in Johannesburg came home late last night (it's at least a four hour trip). He has a bandage around his right forearm covering stitches. He says that a machine did it. I don't really know Hans, but I do know that he's gone a lot when he's home (drinking?). Aloso, he caused property damage at one of the shebeens. It was enough damage that the police kept coming to our house and requesting that someone goes to pay it before they have to take action. Hans didn't take care of it himself, but waited for my host parents to take care of it.

Some eighth graders have been coming to visit me lately. They like to teach me traditional dances and learn simple ballet steps. Recently they've been coming to work on Sudoku puzzles with me. Maybe by learning logic they'll also learn critical thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home