Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Athletics

Track and Field season is here! At all three of my schools they are holding try-outs to see who's the fastest. The fastest learners will be trained and will race. If they are really good, they will be able to compete at the regional, provincal, and national level. Some of the kids were really fast! It was great to see people running and I'd love to help train the learners (although I really don't know how much an 8 year-old should be trained. I think they should just have fun). Unfortunately, it's also an excellent opportunity to see corporal punishment. Yesterday I watched learners pinched on the upper, inner thigh, hit with wooden switch, chased with an umbrella, and hit with a rope tied to a stick (to make a whip). From what I could tell the learners received punishments for being late, running slow, or playing a game while waiting their turn. It was especially hard for me to watche learners wince and jump as perfect lines appeared on their skin from the wooden switch.

Becca, Alicia, and I are planning on doing a corporal punishment workshop which will be presented at each of our schools. Topics will include the history of corporal punishment (it was encouraged during Apartheid to teach the learners to fear authority), results of corporal punishment, and an introduction to positive reinforcement. I can't expect corporal punishment to go away, but maybe my teachers will think about it in a new light.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Melissa, connecting CP to Apartheid, lack of creativity and therefore dependence worked for us somewhat. The problem is traditional culture is also CP dependent, maybe even more than under Aparteid. Read about how Shaka Zulu trained his army (similar in other non Zulu tribes) Also what I found was devastating was how many happy little nursery songs are about getting beaten!

If you get digital training workshop packet going it would be great to distribute it on Wizzy. The schools choose their own content but we try and offer good stuff.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Good to hear from you, Margaret!

I've noticed violence in children's games. If you're found during hide and seek, the seeker gets to beat you. If you win playing a game similar to jacks you get to pinch everyone that lost. When beating is brought up in a play or skit it's funny regardless of the serious content. (Maybe because it's so close to home? I laugh when things are a bit too true as well.)

I've found a lot of information on corporal punishment; including workshops that previous volunteers have done that worked well. The best suggestion that I've found so far is to find a South African to speak against using corporal punishment along with our stuff, giving our information more validity because silly white Americans aren't the only people who would like the system to change.

When I get something going for a workshop, I'll put a digital one together too. Any suggestions on content?

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home